Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Running Interference

Bob and his friends (see below for information about Bob).
Imagine, sitting in a windowless, basement office. Your fingers are swiftly tapping on the muted keys of the Macbook as it glows an effervescent blue color. The office dehumidifier hums in the background as it tries to maintain the integrity of the oxygen in the air. Your coworkers tap in a disharmonious rhythm on their own laptops. And the fake fluorescent light high on the wall seems to pulsate blocks of bright, white light, as do the hanging lamps scattered across the office. Your desk lamp is pointed down, only turned on to give the appearance of being non-vampiric, because the yellow light is growing increasingly toxic to your current condition.

As you stare at the screen, blinking when the white dialogue box becomes too bright, you notice Bob. Bob is what you've named the floater in your eyes , the one that seems to visit more and more often, even after you begin a new course of medication. And Bob isn't going away today, neither is the nausea, the acute pain produced by any sound, and the pulsating, glowing lights. Amplifying the migraine with aura is the Percocet meant to relieve the pain. The aura intensifies as the migraine persists - the tingling in my left palm eventually leads to total numbness.


Imagine being me right now. I am tired after drinking a large latte full of life-saving caffeine. I am nauseous after eating a small TV dinner, and have spent the last several days struggling to eat even small amounts of food. I am unable to shift my point of vision to the left or right without feeling pain in my eyes that radiates across my entire scalp. I look straight ahead, unable to shake off the eerie feeling of paranoia that seems to accompany my migraines.

And this is the bodily environment in which I am expected to complete difficult, new, and growing tasks at the job I've held for a little over a month. Unable to work from home, I feel the presence of my coworkers sharply - and try to appear as healthy and well as possible. I struggle to match their levels of productivity, or at the very least, be competitive. But the throbbing pain, which offers brief glimpses of reprieve as a cruel tease, refuses to be ignored. So, I spend my workdays running interference between the person I truly am and the person I need to appear to be. 
My saving Grace, a gel-beaded eye mask - served frozen, no ice.
I have lost count of how many days in a row I have had a migraine, but it has certainly surpassed a week. It probably began prior to my hospitalization, and certainly shows no signs of letting up. Part of me feels that I shouldn't have to work so hard to mask the intensity of the pain, but it is also scarcely appropriate to lie in the darkness under my desk. So I brace for each impact of the migraine, as I try to complete my work each day. 

Your brain on an aura. 
I don't know how people with chronic migraines are able to raise children, how they are able to run businesses, how they are able to stay in shape and remain active. I don't know how migraine sufferers can hold down jobs. I don't understand how these people live beyond, or even in spite of, the fear of the next migraine. And yet, like myself, I know that people are able to do all of these things as they live with migraines, working through several treatments that don't work until eventually/inevitably, they find something that works.

THIS CLOSE. 
Those people, the ones right next to you, might not look like they have all of this energy whirling around in their head - but their are people that are suffering, and they are doing so in secret. I hope that more people treat the people in their lives with empathy, compassion, and kindness - because you really never know someone else's struggle. 

5 comments:

  1. Am One of the happiest woman on earth since my son was cured from the problem of seizure,which he has been having for eight years now,he do have the attack two to three times a week,which is affecting is education and his life.i got the contact of a doctor from the post of one Mr paul thanking him for curing his seizure problem,i got the contact and contacted him then he made me to know that the medication is a permanent cure, and that was how i got the medication which i used on my son,and for six month now there have been no sign of seizure in him again.any one with such problem can contact him on his email drwilliams098765@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. ALL THANKS TO DR WILLIAMS FOR THE GREAT DEED HE HAVE DON FOR MY FAMILY.This information will be useful for Epilepsy patients who is willing to use herbal medicine. My daughter had temporal lobe epilepsy, She had seizure and had a grand mal with rage episode. Our daughter's seizure is constant throughout the day. We had used several medicine which include: Epilim and Keppra, experience seizure control at the cost of serious debilitating side effects. It was during a casual conversation with a friend that I learned about herbal Dr. William, it does not have any side effect. I am glad to say that he has been seizure-free since July 2015 after taking William medicine. this a miracle cure?contact him for more detail (drwilliams098765@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am Sophie from Canada, I once suffered from a terrible and Chronic epilepsy ,since i was bone , the doctor told me there was no permanent cure i was given medications to slow down its progress, i constantly felt my health was deteriorating as i constantly go out of breath,and this illness was really terrible especially when am going out with my friends, i have this constant disorder for about 31 years, this was really a terrible illness ,on thin one day that i was going through the internet,and i came across a post of Mrs Kate on how his son was been cured from epilepsy through the help of Dr Williams herbal product, I contacted this herbal doctor via his email and explain everything to him and make purchase of his product,few days later he sent me the herbal medicine through courier service, when i received the herbal medicine i used it for 4 weeks as prescribed and i was totally cured of epilepsy within those week of usage,on thin now i have not experience any sign of seizure.if you need his help you can Contact this herbal doctor via his email drwilliams098675@gmail.com for help

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hiv disease for the last 3 years and had pain hard to eat and cough are nightmares,especially the first year At this stage, the immune system is severely weakened, and the risk of contracting opportunistic infections is much greater. However, not everyone with HIV will go on to develop AIDS. The earlier you receive treatment, the better your outcome will be.I started taking ARV to avoid early death but I had faith in God that i would be healed someday.As a Hiv patent we are advise to be taking antiretroviral treatments to reduce our chance of transmitting the virus to others , few weeks ago i came on search on the internet if i could get any information on Hiv treatment with herbal medicine, on my search i saw a testimony of someone who has been healed from Hiv her name was Achima Abelard and other Herpes Virus patent Tasha Moore also giving testimony about this same man,Called Dr Itua Herbal Center.I was moved by the testimony and i contacted him by his Email.drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com OR info@drituaherbalcenter.com. We chatted and he send me a bottle of herbal medicine I drank it as he instructed me to.After drinking it he ask me to go for a test that how i ended my suffering life of Hiv patent,I'm cured and free of Arv Pills.I'm forever grateful to him Drituaherbalcenter.Here his contact Number +2348149277967...He assure me he can cure the following disease..Hiv,Cancer,Herpes Virus,Hpv,Pile,Weak Erection,Lyme Disease,Epilepsy,Glaucoma.,Brain Tumor, Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Alzheimer's disease,
    Dementia. ,Bladder Cancer,Colorectal Cancer,Breast Cancer,Kidney Cancer,Leukemia,Lung Cancer,Tay tach disease,Non Hodgkin Lymphoma,Skin Cancer,Lupus,Uterine Cancer,Prostate Cancer, Seizures, fibromyalgia ,ALS,Hepatitis,Copd,Parkinson disease.Genetic disease,Fibrodysplasia disease,Fibrodysplasia Ossificans Progressiva,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity Syndrome,Stroke,Hpv,Weak Erection,Liver/Kidney Inflammatory,Men/Woman infertility, bowel disease ,Huntington's disease ,Diabetes,Fibroid...

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW ALL THANKS TO DR WILLIAMS I HAVE NEVER BELIEVE IN HERBAL REMEDIES.  my son have been a patient of epilepsy . I had tried a lot of anti viral med prescribed to me by doctors over how many years now but I could not see any improvements in my son symptoms. One day when going through the internet , i got to know about this great Herbal Dr who uses his herbal remedies in curing people from epilepsy,quickly i contacted him and he prepared a herbal medication for my son which i received and he used it as instructed by dr williams. After few weeks the improvement were very visible. the sleepiness and the abnormal behavior stooped ,on thing now he is so full of life. I would recommend this to all my friends,families,around the globe suffering from epilepsy.you can contact him through his email on drwilliams098675@gmail.com.for advice and for his product THANKS TO YOU ONCE AGAIN DR WILLIAMS

    ReplyDelete