Monday, January 25, 2016

Admitted: Part 2

"There are things in that wallpaper that nobody knows about me but me". 
The Yellow Wallpaper

Well, I'm here - my room with a view (of an enormous parking lot, and a highway, albeit). "Welcome to 4 South" reads my white board in Room 4417, which I share with only Nova (my new pink teddy bear), and my video EEG machine. Finding out that I have my own room was like finding out that I didn't have a third roommate assigned to my dorm room in college, or like finding a unicorn. 

Everyone has been SUPER wonderful, and super nice here; even the nurses in the jammed packed ER. But my nurses in 4-South have been the bomb. My evening nurse yesterday watched a little of the PBS nature documentary with Thomas and I after my first seizure of the evening, and rubbed my hand as she slowly injected me with the Ativan, so I didn't zonk out into "la la land." My morning nurse was so compassionate when she witnessed my second seizure early this morning, even while she looked a bit stunned when I "woke up". My daytime nurse hauls ass whenever I call her on my remote (but I feel a bit bad for her as she always looks a very scared as she walks in) and was nice enough to hold all of my equipment as I changed my clothes in the bathroom, and listen to me ramble about my wedding. Speaking of equipment...
Tres, tres chic.
Tres, tres me.
No, I did not hit my head. Yes, I am making a fashion statement. But more importantly, I am being recorded all the time, both my brain and myself, via video EEG. I have never seen anything cooler than this piece of equipment, and am relieved to have it applied this a.m. (since the storm last night might have delayed it's application, since the neurologist comes up from NYC to perform the tests). So we now have movement in a forward direction, and I get to watch my brain (even though it's behaving now). 

And I will have visitors soon, which is really exciting. The medications make me a bit woozy and weird, so I might be both of those things as people see me. And it's been super challenging to grade papers, but I'm hoping that I'll be able to do some later this afternoon. And I contacted all my wedding people to try and make some last minute wedding plans happen, even from the bed of a hospital room. I'm trying to do what I can, staying positive, and waiting until I have news or visitors. Oh, and Downton Abbey tonight makes everything better (score for having cable!). And "High School Musical 2" is on Disney Channel, so I can watch it without Thomas literally putting him to sleep next to me (in between eye rolling and groaning). #sorrynotsorry
Maggie Smith owns my life.




No comments:

Post a Comment